Kolkata Knight Riders have won their match against Punjab Kings in IPL by 5 wickets.
Chasing a target of 124, Kolkata scored the required runs in the 17th over. Captain Morgan was not out until the end and scored a valuable 47 in the team’s victory.
KKR recovered after the initial shock
When the Kolkata team went down to bat, both their openers were out in the first two overs.
The fourth ball of the first over was bowled by Onrikage, Nitish Rana picked it up towards the cover and hit it but Shah Rukh Khan caught it. On the fifth ball of the next over, Shami lbw out Shubhaman Gill.
In the third over, Kolkata got another blow. Arshdeep Singh made Sunil Narayan walk to zero. Kolkata’s third wicket fell for 17 runs.
But then captain Eoin Morgan and Rahul Tripathi shared a half-century partnership for the fourth wicket to take Kolkata to 83.
Rahul Tripathi was dismissed for 41 off 32 balls on the same score in the 11th over. Deepak Hooda’s ball was caught by Shah Rukh Khan.
This was followed by Andre Russell but was run out on the first ball of the 15th over. He contributed 10 runs.
After Russell’s dismissal, Dinesh Karthik came and remained on the pitch with captain Morgan for 12 runs till the end.
Boss of the toss, bullying in the match
Kolkata won the toss and elected to bat at the Narendra Modi Stadium, Motera, Ahmedabad. Playing first, Punjab set a target of 124 for victory against Kolkata.
Morgan’s bowlers got off to a great start and none of the Punjab batsmen survived except Mayank Agarwal and Chris Jordan.
Mayank Agarwal scored 31 runs while Chris Jordan batted fast in the last overs and added 30 runs off 18 balls with the help of 3 sixes.
Shivam created pressure in the powerplay
From Kolkata, young bowler Shivam Mavi bowled well in the opening overs. He bowled three of the six powerplay overs and conceded just 9 runs. It was a marvel of his bowling that Punjab could score only 29 runs in the first five overs.
Captain Rahul wanted to reduce the pressure created by Shivam in the last over of the powerplay but in this attempt he got out.
It was Over Pat Cummins. Rahul had hit sixes on one of his balls, tried the same on the other then Sunil Narayan was caught. He scored 19 runs. Punjab’s first wicket fell for 36 runs.
Gavi’s prize wicket to Mavi
Here Morgan held the ball to Mavi for the fourth consecutive over to keep the pressure on Punjab. Mavi did not disappoint his captain and caught Chris Gayle behind the wicket. Gail couldn’t even open his account.
Mavi gave only 13 runs in his four overs. How effective Mavi was can be gauged from the fact that Punjab batsmen could not score any runs on his 15 balls.
Middle order flop, half team out for 75
Punjab captain KL Rahul, Chris Gayle and in-form Deepak Hooda returned to the pavilion till only 42 runs were scored. Deepak Hooda could score only one run.
After this, in the 12th over, Mayank also got out on the ball of Sunil Narayan. Rahul Tripathi caught his best catch at deep mid wicket. Mayank scored 31 off 34 balls.
Then Varun Chakraborty came to bowl the 13th over. Nicholas Puran, who has been silent till now in IPL 2021, batted in this over and he hit a four and a six.
But in the very next over, Sunil Narine bowled Moses Onrikage. By the time Onrikage was dismissed on the first ball of the 14th over, Punjab’s score had reached 75 for five.
After this, Varun Chakraborty bowled Puran on the second ball of the 15th over and paid for the fours and sixes in the last over.
After this, Chris Jordan made some great shots and played a big role in bringing Punjab’s score to 123 for 9.
Famous Krishna took maximum three wickets for Kolkata. Sunil Narine and Pat Cummins got two wickets each and Shivam Mavi and Varun Chakraborty got one wicket each. Andre Russell did not get any wicket but he gave only two runs in his one over.
Punjab vs Kolkata
Punjab, which started with a win in this tournament, lost three matches in a row. However, Punjab has broken the losing streak by defeating champion Mumbai last Friday. Kolkata has lost its last four matches.
This is the first match of IPL 2021 in Ahmedabad.
Kolkata Knight Riders team
Nitish Rana, Shubhaman Gill, Rahul Tripathi, Sunil Narine, Eoin Morgan (captain), Dinesh Karthik (wicketkeeper), Andre Russell, Pat Cummins, Shivam Mavi, Varun Chakraborty and the famous Krishna
Punjab Kings team
KL Rahul (captain), Mayank Agarwal, Chris Gayle, Deepak Hooda, Nicholas Puran, Mojes Onriquez, Shah Rukh Khan, Chris Jordan, Ravi Bishnoi, Mohammad Shami and Arshdeep Singh.
- IPL 2021: SRHvsDC-Williamson’s thrilling innings, Pant wins super over
- IPL 2021: CSKvsRCB- Jadeja stopped Virat’s winning chariot with five sixes in a row
- IPL 2021: Rajasthan’s second win, Kolkata’s fourth defeat by 6 wickets
- IPL-14: Gayle, Rahul’s shower of runs, Punjab’s victory over Mumbai by 9 wickets
- IPL 2021: As Devdutt became an angel on the pitch, so did Kohli
- IPL 2021: Devdutt’s thumping innings, Bangalore heavy on Rajasthan
- IPL 2021: Hyderabad beat Punjab by a landslide, Bairstow scores
- IPL 2021: Morgan could not handle the beating but Dhoni remained calm
- IPL 2021: Delhi lost, Mumbai lost
- IPL 2021: Five Balls, Bane Boss, Jaddu at Its Best
- IPL 2021: Jadeja, Moin’s spin caught Rajasthan, Chennai win
- IPL 2021: De Villiers mega show of Super Sunday
- IPL 2021: Dhawan shines at the top of Punjab
- IPL 2021: Thriller of Drop Catch, Hit Wicket, Direct Throw
- IPL 2021: Hyderabad defeat hat trick
- IPL 2021: Dream Ball, Chahar’s four and Dhoni’s masterstroke
- IPL 2021: Chahar War scattered Kings, Chennai’s first win
- IPL 2021: Four sixes and victory for sure, look Sanju, this is Morris!
- IPL 2021: Shahbaz-Maxwell’s Kamal and Kohli’s ‘Angry’